Our Health Centre follows different patient travel policies, depending on whether you are travelling to a local medical appointment, or are travelling some distance to a city. Both policies are included on this page.
If you are a Witset member and are required to travel to a local medical appointment, follow these steps to receive reimbursement from the Witset Health Centre:
- Drop off your appointment form with the date, time and location of your appointment two weeks in advance of travel.
- The day before leaving for travel you can pick up a cheque for travel expenses and your confirmation of appointment form from the Health Centre.
- After your appointment, bring to the Health Centre your confirmation of appointment form, stamped by the doctor visited. This form is required for Health Centre reporting and confirms that you attended your appointment.
- Drop off appointment cards for follow-ups and other appointments resulting from your visit as soon as possible (minimum one week prior to travel dates).
Remember that gas vouchers are only provided on an emergency basis, or for elders and people with chronic conditions. Referrals, indicating why medical travel is needed, must be done locally in either Smithers or in Hazelton.
Travelling to a larger urban centre
If you are a Witset member and are required to travel to a city (for example, Terrace, Prince George, or even Vancouver) for medical reasons, there are three steps you must follow to receive reimbursement from the Witset Health Centre:
- Bring all referral forms to the Health Centre at least two weeks before your scheduled appointment.
- Sign the patient agreement! This agreement states that if you do not attend the scheduled appointment, you must return all money given for travel to the Witset Band.
- After your appointment, bring to the Health Centre your confirmation of appointment form, stamped by the doctor visited. This form is required for Health Centre reporting and confirms that you have attended your appointment.
If these steps are not completed, you will receive a notice of repayment. This notice gives you 30 days to refund the travel money received for a missed appointment.
Even if you don't get papers in on time, you can still get hotel room and reimbursement.
Please note: each time you contact staff after hours, overtime accrues. We ask that you only contact one staff member. Thank you!